Winter is Coming: Guidelines for Inclement Weather
Making the decision to alter the regular operations of school and/or school buses due to inclement weather is never an easy task. To learn more about how the Halifax Regional Centre for Education (HRCE) makes this call, visit www.hrce.ca/weather.
When is the decision made?
HRCE’s goal is to make the decision as close to 6 a.m. as possible.
A 6 a.m. announcement could be:
• All schools are delayed in opening by two hours and all bus pickups are delayed by two hours; or
• All schools are open, but some or all buses are not operating for the day; or
• Some schools (either individually or by family) are closed for the day; or
• All schools are closed for the day.
If the weather deteriorates through the school day, the HRCE can decide to dismiss early. In the event of an early dismissal, the decision will be communicated as close to 11 a.m. as possible.
An 11 a.m. dismissal means:
• Bused students will be picked up two hours earlier than their regular dismissal time; and
• Walking students will be dismissed at their regularly-scheduled lunch hour.
Please Note: students in Grades Primary to 6 will not be released from school until parents/guardians or designates have been notified by the school.
How will families be notified?
• Families will receive an email and text message (opt-in is required: text Y to 978338)*
• Check our website at www.hrce.ca
• Follow us on Twitter at @HRCE_NS
• Call the HRCE information line at 902-464-INFO (4636)
• All local radio stations are informed
Click here for a printable PDF of our guidelines.
*If you know someone who is NOT a parent/guardian who would like to receive an email and/or text message, let them know they can sign up here: www.hrce.ca/notifications
Did you know? January 27 is Family Literacy Day
Family Literacy Day takes place each year on January 27 to raise awareness about the importance of reading and engaging in other literacy-related activities as a family.
This year’s theme is Celebrate Your Heritage! Canada is a great diverse country full of different cultures. Use reading as a way to explore and learn about your heritage and the dynamic cultures that make up our communities.